Monday, April 21, 2008

CLASSLESS

This past weekend I was "honored" when I met Gov. Ed Rendell (D-PA) and Chelsea Clinton while they were doing a media filled "gay pub crawl" around Philadelphia’s gay section. She was sweet, and looked great, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized the game they were playing. Just because you went to a few gay bars does not mean your father didn’t sign “don’t ask don’t tell” into effect, or that both of your parents backed DOMA. So, even though I was impressed for the first few hours after our meeting, I was not impressed with the over all message. A pub crawl?
First of all, the LGBT community is not only about going out to drink in sweat filled, std-ridden dance clubs (which are basically a cover for a modern day bath house). Secondly, how dare you insult my intelligence by shoving your daughter, who clearly has her ambitions set on the 2016 or 2020 presidential race (sound familiar)?, in my face when you were no where to be found? You can do all of the interviews on the ELLEN show you want, I still DO NOT BELIEVE YOU.
Also, I'm sure everyone has caught wind of Michael Moore’s first public statement regarding this primary race on his blog, and I found some other information about the Rev. Wright controversy.
Allegedly, back in 1998 just moments before it was released to the media that Bill Clinton had sexual relations with intern Monica Lewinsky, he tried to do some damage control by hosting a breakfast with a few elite spiritual leaders across the country in order for them to show support and offer guidance during his family’s difficult time. Who was in attendance? Non-other then Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who was shown here ( http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/photograph-of-bill-clinton-and-rev-wright-surfaces/) admirably gazing in President Clintons eyes. Does he LOOK like he hates white people all that much? No. The fact that he even showed up to the breakfast makes monumental statements. Judge for yourself.
On my last topic, it was made abundantly clear to me over the weekend that race is still a major, major issue in America. When some still throw out the detestable N-word, without regard for anyone else in the room, it really hits home quite hard. I mean middle class white people who live in mixed neighborhoods still talk this way and MEAN it? I know I am young and still have a lot to learn, but I thought we have made steps forward.
I may not truly ever understand the struggle of African Americans, but I think I have a better understanding than most. In no way am I tapping myself on the back for any type of conversation I once had with a black person or certain friends that I associate myself with, I'm just saying I have allowed my mind to open and I LISTEN and READ everything I can. Educating yourself is so important, yet some of us still desire to be left in the dark. I say to you, Good Luck, good riddance and good bye.

No comments: